Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Getting Ready

Please bear with me as this is my first attempt at a blog. I am no expert. But I will learn how to most effieciently present information for you, the people who will be following my "Adventure in Burkina Faso". Thank you and enjoy.

I have been invited to serve in Burkina Faso through the Peace Corps. My mission that I have accepted is to teach mathematics (and being a french speaking country, teaching in french as well). At the bottom I have written what I receieved. So you don't have to do the math, that is 27 months total. 3 months of training, and 24 months (2 years) of service. I am very excited as of this moment to be able to serve in this fashion. I am nervous as well.

My Assignment
Country: Burkina Faso
(Burkina Faso is a combination of the two main African languages of Burkina Faso, Morré and Doula. Burkina is Morré for "Honorable Men" and Faso is Doula for "Land", so it is translated as "Land of Honorable Men" in English)
Program: Secondary Education
(High School, grades 6th to 12th)
Job Title: Math Teacher
(to teach all subjects, so far as I know; Algebra, Geometry, etc. And also class sizes that could range anywhere from 40 to 150 students, with nothing more than a chalkboard to teach with)
Dates of Service: August 28th, 2009 - August 27th, 2011

Orientation Dates: June 9th, 2009

Pre-Service Training: June 11th, 2009 - August 28th, 2009

2 comments:

  1. Yeah Kyle!!! So glad you got a blog going- this will make it SO NICE to keep up to date with what you are doing. We will keep you in our prayer; of that you can be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle,

    Looking forward to being a part of your journey, thank you.

    ReplyDelete