Thursday, January 14, 2010

Friday, December 25, 2009 –

Christmas, or in French “Noel”. Here the holiday is spent with much the same intent as that in the US. It’s for families to get together, gifts are exchanged, and Jesus’ birth is celebrated. But the manner in which it is celebrated, obviously there are some big differences. Especially for me. For example there is no snow here, well ice is hard to find here, but I find it regardless. There are none of the normal foods that I would consider Christmas worthy either. Most of the food here is honestly salty or bland, sugar is easy to find, but hardly used in cooking.
As for the meals I ate. At the first party that I went to. I had rice and beef and a cold Sprite. This was at my “pseudo-mothers” house. She had invited me over the day before. It was nice. She is the elderly woman who owns the restaurant I frequent, and has been very nice to my of late. I did not spend to much time here though. I’ve been sick lately so I wanted to take a nap, and lay down.
The second party I went to was at the house of the secretary of PLAN, her name is Armelle. Her husband and I have become good friends over the past month or two, and his name is Alpha. The food they served was very party-ish, there are many staple party foods here in Burkina. Popcorn is one along with fried cake and these chip like things flavored like shrimp. But more importantly they had fried chicken and fish. Once again I had a Sprite to go along with the grub. It was satisfying. But then again, eating oily greasy food while being sick isn’t a good idea, but it’s Christmas, so I don’t care. So I decided to come back and lay down and type a little. I’m happy, full, and sick at the same time; and it is ok.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you developing some good relationships Kyle, so glad you had a good Christmas in spite of your illness. We missed you here, but we continue to follow your adventure with pride and joy. Be safe and be well. Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete